Saturday, June 24, 2017

Painting wood windows- how do we manage the pealing and sticking?

This first photo is the PROBLEM! Freshly painted windows and all this sticking and tearing makes them look terrible.
The heat, thick layers of latex paint and infrequent opening has all contributed to this ugly window jam. I refuse to have my new windows look like this.

Have I said that our contractor, with over 20 years of experience restoring old houses, has a solution for everything? Well, he does. No problem is unsolvable for this guy.

SOLUTION: Don't use paint!  Use solid color stain. It absorbs into the wood, is white mat and will allow for smooth opening and closing of the windows without sticking. This is new wood and will absorb the stain and apparently the wood will be as protected by stain as by any other paint.

First coat of the white stain on the inside.  I am so excited to see this idea put into my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment