Saturday, June 13, 2015

Attic disappointment

Yesterday, I spoke with a second architect who confirmed our suspicion that the attic plan needs to be abandoned.  A retrofit of the foundation, new support beams in the ceiling and walls would render the project too massive for this little house. Both architects agreed that adding a two-story addition in the back with a suitable foundation is a better way to get what we want.  Hence, time to change what we want. I'm not interested in putting a giant "butt" on our cute little cottage. We meet with the third architect in a few minutes and will see what they have to say, but I am readjusting my sights and the floor plan to keep it one story. Our little, steep staircase will remain and we will continue to use the attic as a "junk storage place" rather than living space.

October 25, 2015- Added note: The "little staircase" was demolished in the first round. I wish I had taken a photo. It was ingenious and is now a pile of rubble. This is all I could find to remind us of this unique little escape. This space is now home to our powder room.

Closet where the stairs originated.

Remaining stairs and asbestos exhaust pipe after lower stairs were demolished.



No comments:

Post a Comment